What's Cooking with Jean
Friday, August 21, 2009 Mark Bittman's Banana Bread


Yes, yes, I know. The rage is Julia Child. I did love the movie. But this cookbook has simplified my life in the kitchen and kept my love affair with food alive. Oddly enough, it was dwindling. Blame it on a newborn, hormones or this city. You can thank my sister.

Even though it doesn't have yogurt OR buttermilk, I present to you my new favorite banana bread recipe.

Mark Bittman’s Banana Bread

8 tablespoons butter, plus some for greasing the pan (I suggest unsalted)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 sugar
2 eggs
3 very ripe bananas, mashed with a fork until smooth
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 grated dried unsweetened coconut


Preheat the overn to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.

Mix together the dry ingredients. Cream the butter and beat in the eggs and bananas (I just used a whisk). Stir this mixture into the dry ingredients; do not mix more than necessary. Gently stir in the vanilla, nuts, and coconut.

Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 45 to 60 minutes, until nicely browned. A toothpick inserted in the center of the bread will come out fairly clean, but banana bread is excessively moist compared to other breads. Do not overcook.

Labels: ,


Posted by Jeannie :: 1:29 PM :: 0 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------