What's Cooking with Jean
Saturday, December 13, 2008 Cookbooks for Christmas

While I love the internet and blogs, nothing beats a good cookbook in your hand. I love sitting down in front of my shelf of cookbooks and looking through for ideas. Plus, you don't use more printer paper at your desk! Forget how to best bake a potato? Pull out the Better Homes and Garden standard. Need a casserole? Turn to the good ole church cookbooks from the South. Cooking your first Thanksgiving turkey? Let Julia Child hold your hand through the process. So, if you're wanting to make a wish list of great cookbooks that someone could buy you for Christmas, here are a few that I would suggest!

The Best of BetterBaking
This is an awesome cookbook for anyone who loves to bake. I think my husband went off of a hint from his mom who suggested this book one Christmas. I especially like the section that suggests best flours, cooking gadgets, and fun suggestions.

Any Julia Child
If you pass a rare and used bookstore, stop by and browse the cooking section. I've found some great, old cookbooks there. I found an old copy of From Julia Child's Kitchen on our honeymoon in Maine, and it is becoming a favorite. Even though I had grandmothers and a mother who taught me so much about cooking, you can feel mothered by the voice of Julia Child in any of her books.

How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman
A great present for newlyweds, or so my sister seemed to think. She says she uses it all the time.

Priceless, old family recipes
Sitting around at Christmas wondering what to talk about with your family? Take the opportunity to sit down with a grandparent and copy an old recipe. Don't let a blog take the place of their handwriting and years of tested recipes.

Labels:


Posted by Jeannie :: 9:58 AM :: 1 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------